Thursday 27 September 2012

Mininum age for Social Networking...

This has been an ongoing debate since Facebook first came about, but what do you think?

Facebook, as well as a number of other social networking sites, sets a minimum age restriction, claiming that nobody under the age of 13 will be able to use the site. Similar restrictions have been set on others, but how safe are the children using these sites, and how old are they in actuality?

The EU Kids Online II Survey has revealed some shocking statistics to do with minimum age restrictions, in particular for the use of Facebook. It is estimated that 1 in 5 9-12 year olds have a Facebook account which they use regularly. I bet you're thinking: 'So what? It's up to the parents!'. Well I agree, to an extent.

I also agree that this sort of thing should be monitored. Obviously it's a very difficult thing to police; practically impossible in fact! But schools and/or parents should be able to expose these younger children to social networking authorities, as I (along with many others) believe that mass communication sites like these really aren't safe places for young children.

But, should this be someone else's responsibility entirely? Are not the government responsible for children's safety and welfare via their own institutions such as social services etc. stated in the Data Protection Act? Is it then their problem, and are parents and schools thus liberated from safeguarding children's actions on the internet? (I AM merely playing Devil's advocate here, but if someone does believe this and has ready justification I'd be fascinated to get into a debate with YOU!)

Internet-based paedophiles - pretending to be children/teenagers - are on the up. Only last year was a network of paedophiles found and persecuted!
Cyber-bullying - a major form of bullying in this day and age - has increased tremendously.
Inappropriate content - swearing and other offensive language - is open to view by small children, even those as young as 4!!!

These are just 2 things that children are exposed to on the internet, should we let it continue?

More statistics on this whole debate can be found here - http://www.digitalme.co.uk/tag/facebook-age-debate/ - I do not own the site or anything on it, but I found it incredibly interesting to read through :)

I'd love to hear some thoughts on this, even if they are from my only follower at the moment!!! :P (hopefully I'll have some more soon, eh?)

Thanks for reading, I know this is the first post in a while - I do apologise!
Sarah

No comments:

Post a Comment